Sunday, November 21, 2010

Coventry Tartlets made with Green Hive Honey...yum!!


How lucky am I that I get to make delicious Coventry Tartlets using Green Hive Honey which is not only raw and local but also packaged with a label I designed...this is the Bees Knees for me!!!
This is a simple and really delightful recipe which could be an easy addition to your Thanksgiving array of desserts.

I began with an oh-so-easy tart crust gleaned from my friend and baker Lindsey Schortz of
let them eat cake , Belfast...it is astoundingly easy and so reliable...it doesn't shrink and gives a rich almost cookie like crust...YUM!!!
Pre-heat your oven to 325F...thank you!!

EASY PEASY SWEET TART CRUST: I made 10 miniature tarts from the recipe here:
1 1/2 cups/6ozs of unbleached white flour
 
1/2 cup/2ozs confectioners/icing sugar
1 stick + 1 tablespoon/ 4 1/2ozs butter VERY COLD
1 large egg yolk
a tad of milk or cream if your dough doesn't stick together

1. Sift dry ingredients together into a medium sized bowl.
2. Grate the butter into the dry ingreds, and rub in until like breadcrumbs.
3. Add egg yolk and blend carefully until the dough sticks together
4. Mine didn't stick together with just the egg yolk so I added baby drop by baby drop some cream until it did start to come together...be careful once it does start to come together it does so quite quickly...don't let it get sticky!!
5.My mini tart cases are about 1 1/2" round so I rolled a ball of dough about the size of a large walnut and popped one into each case.

Then joy of joys I just squashed and pushed the dough to line the tart cases one by one...isn't that simple? I let the dough be quite thick as it so delicious and cooks through very evenly and nicely!!
Now fill the cases with this simple creamy deliciousness:

Coventry Tartlet filling:
4 ozs cream cheese/ 1/2 an average pack
1/4 cup/3 ozs raw honey or regular - doesn't have to be raw

1/8 cup/1 oz butter (I always use salted because I like the flavour)

1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ye olde nutmeg
2 teaspoons (or one if you like and just want a hint) lemon juice.

1. Cream butter and cream cheese together.
2. Add honey and cream some more.
3. Add rest of ingredients and cream together and then fill the cases to quite full, the mixture expands a little as it cooks but not a lot...when it is cooled it will fall but that's just the way of this recipe....

Pop your little darlings into the pre-heated oven at 325F and cook for about 25 minutes until nicely and evenly browned...until they look like this dreamboat below!!

Sorry about the wonky spacing in this post...I made one draft and when I published it it was all deleted and it is hopping around all over the place so I am leaving the odd spacing as I don't want to type it again for the third time...thanks for your patience!!

Happy baking!!! I will have another recipe coming before Thanksgiving...Cranberry Steamed Pudding with (Green Hive Honey) Sauce...ooh la la!! 
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

Casco Bay Soap Co. said...

these look de-lish! and the labels are fantastic!! nice job all around Patricia.
:)
Shannon
www.cascobaysoap.blogspot.com